Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Indulgence...

I haven't had the luxury of time to trawl the net as I used to for a long time...

As I sat in the bf's apartment awaiting the moment he walks thru the door so I can greet him with a wry smile n a wet smuak, I caught up on my reading....

FLozy's post on Indulgence caught my eye... :)

No babe.. for obvious hygiene reasons, we do NOT collect back the lil jam jars n refill them.. ;D

Come to think bout it...
Alot of food do get wasted on planes...
Carts n carts of snacks... Urns n tetrapacks of fresh juices.. Racks of unconsumed meals...
All gets thrown away..
Guess the rationale is that we can't afford getting sued by anyone for food poisoning can we?

And it's not just for the priority pax dearie...
True... we prob cater more choices, more variety for the priority pax...
But that does not mean we shortchange the coach class as well..

In marketing terms, we would call it, Market Segmentation lei...
Different customer profiles, different needs.

Most of the biz class pax r ... pple who travel on business.. like you..
Many on company's expense no less..
And I think what we provide is not much more impeccable service... Service is supposed to be impeccable in anyways...
But more of extended service...

N extended service can b in a form of better amentities provided.
The cost of a biz class tix is 3 times more than the cost of coach to my knowledge...
We have a strict upgrade policy to deter what we call "Try-ers" (people who give all sorts of reasons, sob stories, or even threaten us with complaints just to get an upgrade) n also to maintain exclusivity..

But as the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for".
So it's simple, the reason why something is costly is becos u get more. N the reason u r paying more is becos u will be expecting more... No?

For example, priority queues r for pple like u, biz pple who do not have time to while away in queues, pple who r not on holiday but travelling for work.
I see so many disheveled ones mugging in front of their lappies every spare second they have on a flight...clamping their lappies shut after many a reminder upon descend, not even having time to sleep a wink in their comfy Spacebeds... I dun think these pple would appreciate standing in queue for even 10 mins right?

(I used to be such a last min mugger when it came to projects n presentations in school that I totally understand the immense stress one lor.. ;D)

I have spoken to many on red-eye flights, where the short 5.5hr flight time from Sin to Shanghai is their only chance to sleep before a 40 hour race ahead upon touch down..

So it's not that their lives r more important than others...
Or that their time is more precious than others...

It's just... cos their needs are different... n cos they paid the price for their class of travel, we try to make them as comfy as possible n to cater to their needs mah.


Of cos there r wealthy pple who pay for comfort as well when they travel lar...
But the same principle applies...

N then there r the super wealthy, super celebrities n super elite who travel First Class....
Hmmm....
Well. I feel that arrogance is personal cos there r many super rich who r not super snobbish...
As for wastage, it's all the work of economics...

Though I must say... I really hate to see the huge pile of unread papers we offload from the aircraft at the end of a flight...
At the risk of sounding like a super "on" crew, I'm making a mental note to give out all extra papers to pax who did not get access when I have time on longer flights... ;p

hee hee~

No comments: